Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Decisions to make

Been a while since I posted here so this is a little update about what's going on with me.

Yesterday my manager and his manager came down from the London office for a meeting with me. The discussion was about my company's move to London in March 2014 (they gave us the news about this in November 2011 so we can't say they didn't give us adequate notice) and specifically about my request for flexible working. I asked to be allowed to work two days at home and three in the office to avoid the nearly 2 hour commute at least some of the week. They have agreed to my request and so the next thing will be to decide if I want to accept the offer in London or take the redundancy package. For me that would amount to about six months salary as a tax free lump sum. Very tempting to take the money and run but what else is out there? This is a very good company to work for, lots of cool benefits (cheap books!) and they treat us well. Hell they gave us two and a half years notice of this move where some companies you would be lucky to get two and a half week's notice.

So lots for me to think about. My colleagues in the web production team (I am the sole web developer here in the Basingstoke office, different team, different management) were not nearly so lucky with their requests for flexible working. They have all been offered a bizarre scheme where they get to work at home one day every two weeks or something. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but I know they are all very unhappy about itand very unlikely to make the move. So this will probably be our last Christmas together as a group in this office. Very sad but times they do keep a-changing and all'a that.



( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Dec. 12th, 2012 03:16 pm (UTC)
Good luck with everything!

It does sound like a good company, so yeah I don't think I'd give that up if I could avoid it.
Dec. 12th, 2012 04:36 pm (UTC)
that's some pretty excellent news all around.

I wouldn't take the severance unless I was going to make a career change completely. Chances are if you go somewhere else in web production, you'll be getting a shittier deal and a shittier company. That said, I'm generally over-cautious on things like this.

Whatever happens, good luck!
Dec. 13th, 2012 04:52 am (UTC)
Honestly, if the company is good, the benefits are good and they're prepared to grant flexible hours, it sounds like a great deal. Then the only issues are whether or not you're happy with the projects you're working on, and if you feel (or want to be) challenged by them. On the whole, though, it's a nice position for you to be in. :)

It's too bad about your colleagues, but they need to make their own decisions about that.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )