You are viewing themountaingoat

Decisions to make

Been a while since I posted here so this is a little update about what's going on with me.

Yesterday my manager and his manager came down from the London office for a meeting with me. The discussion was about my company's move to London in March 2014 (they gave us the news about this in November 2011 so we can't say they didn't give us adequate notice) and specifically about my request for flexible working. I asked to be allowed to work two days at home and three in the office to avoid the nearly 2 hour commute at least some of the week. They have agreed to my request and so the next thing will be to decide if I want to accept the offer in London or take the redundancy package. For me that would amount to about six months salary as a tax free lump sum. Very tempting to take the money and run but what else is out there? This is a very good company to work for, lots of cool benefits (cheap books!) and they treat us well. Hell they gave us two and a half years notice of this move where some companies you would be lucky to get two and a half week's notice.

So lots for me to think about. My colleagues in the web production team (I am the sole web developer here in the Basingstoke office, different team, different management) were not nearly so lucky with their requests for flexible working. They have all been offered a bizarre scheme where they get to work at home one day every two weeks or something. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but I know they are all very unhappy about itand very unlikely to make the move. So this will probably be our last Christmas together as a group in this office. Very sad but times they do keep a-changing and all'a that.


Work related news

I suppose I should talk about today's big story here at work - a serious fire in the other office building on our site yesterday evening.

The fire was reported at 5.38 pm. Had I been here till my normal time I would have seen it but since I was going into London for the BWB meet up I left about 45 minutes before then. It was a big fire, took nearly two hours to fully put out and it has gutted two offices, about half of the third floor of the publishing building. Thankfully nobody was hurt and those who were on site followed procedure and got out safely. It is not thought to be suspicious, probably an electrical fault.

When I arrived this morning I saw a lot of people standing around outside the other building and assumed there had been a fire drill but in my office nobody knew anything about what was going on. It was not till later when an email came round that we had the full story. They were removing the blackened glass windows today at lunch time and I could see smoke damage on the wood cladding above and below the windows. Obviously I had not looked up when I arrived this morning. About 35 workstations were destroyed and I think almost everyone who works in the other building was sent home as safety inspections were carried out today.

So the question now is will the company repair all the damage or will this force their hand into making a decision about the future of the building? We know its old, it is mostly constructed of asbestos and having closed down the warehouse a couple of months ago we are pretty sure we'll be moved to another site at some point in the near future. Whether they will knock this building down and build a new one on the site, we don't know. The company "are committed to staying in Basingstoke" but whether that means here on this site or elsewhere, we don't know.

But in further work related news I have got the job in the Web Development Team. This means after 3 years in the web production team I will instead be concentrating on the page building processes full time, having worked 50/50 between teams over the last 6 or 7 months. I find the work more interesting, less routine and it also comes with a nice little pay bump